Friday, September 12, 2008

Aloha

Ken and I have never taken a vacation alone since Jensen was born over 9 years ago. So this year we conned his parents into coming to California to watch the kids while we headed for Hawaii. But alas, I can’t do anything without the children, so I told them I’d blog it while we were on the trip so they could see what we are up to.

Today we arrived on Kauai and the first thing I noticed when we left the airport was how great it smelled. There is a constant waft of the most wonderful flower that is sweet but not sickening. It is quite humid, but really warm. Everyone here is really nice; I think it’s because it’s such a beautiful place to be everyone is just happy. It is also very relaxed here and things move a little more slowly than back home, so we spent a long time in line waiting to get out rental car.

After getting our car, a convertible, we headed to our hotel. It has a downstairs and an upstairs with a lanai, that’s what they call a porch. The edge of the downstairs porch has a fence and just beyond the fence it drops down about 50 feet to a rocky cove in the ocean below where we watch sea turtles swimming all day. I’m sitting on the porch right now as I write this. It is dark out, but the moon is big and the sound of the waves is very relaxing. We are going to go to dinner now, I think we are going to have fish. I bet now you’re glad you got to stay home with Grandma and Grandpa and have Little Caesars.

Love,
Mom

P.S. A gecko just ran across the porch.

2 comments:

The Shane's said...

nicole! that was sooo descriptive! i almost felt like i was there! sounds wonderful! i miss hawaii! aloha!!!

Larsen's said...

It has been years since I have been to Hawaii, but when you described the scent there, I was totally remembering that!!! It smells like flowers and coconuts...